Saturday, May 3, 2008

May 2, 2008

Ame left on Thursday for a family emergency. Her family called at 7:00 and just two hours later a little, white Peace Corps bus pulled up to take her away. After hugs and tears I silent stood in the yard with Soma, Hael, Anel, Ame’s host family and three neighbors. The little van kicked up a floury of chickens and dust and a sense of impermanence that stuck in my throat for the rest of the day.

On Monday we’re heading to Gabs to open bank accounts and get work visas. I’m looking forward to this trip to break up the training routine and am even more excited for Tuesday when I’ll be traveling to Mokubilo to shadow a PVC who has been serving there for a year and a half. Mokubilo is very small village in the center of the country, close to the largest mine in Botswana. While I’m not looking forward to the 6 hour bus ride I am dying to see more of Botswana and explore a bit of the rural areas. I’ll be there for four nights and promise a full report upon my return.

Sometime mid-training I’ll be interviewed for my placement and will be asked to give my preference of an urban, suburban or rural placement. After living in “urban” Molepolole for 3 weeks this trip will provide a good contrast to help me make my decision. Expect stories next weekend. Week three begins.

No comments: