Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Mail

So about once a week Peace Corps delivers our mail. What happens then is a little ritual we call, Who’s Loved The Most.

Who’s Loved The Most goes something like this:

One volunteer stands at the front of the room calling out names for letters and packages
Everyone whose name gets called for a letter gets a big cheer from the crowd
Everyone whose name gets called for a package gets shrieks, applauding and vulture-like eyeing as we look to see what the hailed package contains.

This entry is to say that today, for the very first time, my name was called and I ran down the aisle to receive a letter from JENNIFER MELDRUM who earns major friend-brownie points for not only sending me a letter but sending it on April 13, three whole days before I left.

So panic not, my loved ones, your items WILL make it and know that they will be welcomed with envious cheers and, yes, even a little eye-welling-up from me.

ALSO—many many many thanks to the 26 amazing people who signed up to send me packages each of the 26 months I am here. Mum handed me the list on my way to the airport and I spent a long time gasping in awe at how generous you all are.


Heading out to the village in just 13 hours.

Sala Sentle (Stay well)

2 comments:

Travis Bedard said...

Without an address how can we prove to Botswana that you are the most loved?

Pajarita Frenetica said...

Her address is:
Private Bag 00243
Peace Corps
Gaborone,
BOTSWANA

Jessica: I might end up in South Africa with SIT this January!!! How insane is that!!