Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Stillness

Traveling to a campsite in central Botswana we find ourselves muscling the masses on elections weekend. President Khama has given everyone the day off so they have time to make it to their home villages and wait in the 7 hour lines to cast their votes.

People groan about the travel, but softly. There is An Awareness here. Zimbabwe and South Africa bulging at the seams and straining the borders. Election days go differently there.

On Monday morning the Deputy School Head stands before our student body and nearly shouts the words

“Not one drop of blood was shed!”

I stare at her poised there with pride and passion. I feel the significance. The students are encouraged to be proud of their nation’s stability during these elections. They are also persuaded to work towards lives that sustain and promote Botswana’s unique and profound state of peace.

Several times each month I engage in the Getting-To-Know-You banter with Batswana. Americans have their own set of traditional inquiries on employment, the weather, family, etc. The Batswana nearly always ask me the same string of questions:

Which country do you come from?
How long have you been here?
What are you doing here?
What do you think of our country?

In response to the last I typically comment on Botswana’s natural beauty or the warmth of the people. And they nod and reply:

“Ah, and we are peaceful here. A very peaceful nation.”

Botswana was not a colony of Britain, it was a protectorate. It earned peaceful independence in 1966. It has never had a civil war. Its 8 major tribes reside in harmony and tolerance of one another.

At some point in my service I began to take advantage of these facts. I got bored of people telling me how peaceful Botswana is. I numbed to this predictable praise.

And then Election Day came and went as every other day has in quiet, sunny, serene Botswana. And then I looked at my map again: Zambia pouring frightened refugees. South Africa still on the mend from apartheid. And all the horrors that sit and stir in the wake of Uganda, Sudan, Rwanda, Kenya

and
so
on.

“Can you believe this?” Hael says out of nowhere.
I look up from my book.
She’s bright from the light pouring through the bus window. And from Something else.
“I just can’t believe we’re sitting here, Living in an African country—and with these elections… right now there are elections going on. And nothing, nothing at all. Just another day.”

We sit there like that. Half comprehending the novelty. Attempting to sense the weight of These Things.

The bus window flashes light and dust and green. We watch it. We feel grateful. Or as grateful as we can - two privileged, sheltered, curious American girls, learning perspective. And the importance of an absence. And the value of a Stillness.

4 comments:

Kagiso said...

I enjoy reading your posts. I like seeing my country through the eyes of somebody from another country, a first world country for that matter - that is America.

Yea people always get this wrong, but I am glad you got it right, Botswana was never colonised, Botswana was only a British protectorate from Boer invasion from the Transvaal and German expansion from present day Namibia. At the time Botswana was largely considered a “barren desert too poor to be colonized”.

The Germans and the British ended up amicably negotiating a trade off
that resulted in the British annexing an island called Zanzibar off the Tanzanian coast and the Germans seizing a strip of land in northern Botswana, now part of Namibia, presently called the Caprivi Strip.

Jessica said...

Thanks for this, Kagiso. It's nice to hear the full history. Apparently "the barren desert" would have been worth the colonization after all... I think the Brits must have kicked themselves when the diamonds turned up just a few years after they granted independence.

Unknown said...

The election was covered on the BBC, and I thought of you listening to reports on it. Nothing on US media, that I heard.
Eunice

Anonymous said...


Been a HIV and TB (Tuberculosis) positive is just like been through hell but EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE. So amazing and i want to testify of the good work done by DR TEMI a very strong and powerful spell caster.DR TEMI has proved science and scientists wrong for believing and thinking that there is no cure for HIV AIDS and TB (Tuberculosis) but to be sincere this GREAT MAN is so real and powerful. I never thought that this spell will work but this GREAT MAN has proved it to me and it has worked and still working perfectly. i was diagnosed of the deadly disease called HIV AIDS and TB (Tuberculosis) in 2015 January and i thought that is the end and there will be no hope. Speaking to anyone was always a problem because i was so worried and my nails was always itching me and always in the state of unrest in fact i thought it was over until one blessed day when i was searching for help here on the INTERNET, i came across a testimony about DR TEMI on how he helped a lady who was HIV positive. At first i thought it was all a lie but i decided to give it a try since there was no option and, when i contacted this MAN he laughed and told me that, that is too small for him and his gods to handle but i was still in doubt, and he gave me a form to fill which I did, then he called me and told me that his gods required some items in which we found a way to provide and prepared a cure for me, and instructed me on what to do and i OBEYED him completely as he told me. Then he sent a parcel to me through the courier delivery service. I got my parcel, it was a holy water and a pure holy oil as described by DR TEMI. I took the holy water and the holy oil and after taking it and drink he told me to go for check up but I was still in doubt and was so afraid to go for the test but i took a bold step and believed that it is well, and i believed all what he has done and all that he has told me. So i went to the hospital for the test it was so amazing, awesome and exciting what seems to be impossible became possible, the VIRUS disappeared completely from my system and I was tested HIV negative and TB (Tuberculosis) was all gone. Quickly I called him and told him what happened he congratulated me and today i am a happy human again the way things use to be. Don't you think that this testimony is worth sharing? I promise to tell the world about him and i will keep sharing this testimony till the end because many people has died of AIDS and TB (Tuberculosis) and i want many people who believed that it is over to know that EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE AND I WANT THEM TO GET HELP FROM THIS HERBAL DR by contacting him on his email at superherbalmiracletemple@gmail.com for your solution now. If you are hiv positive or you have fingernails fungus and you think that it is over i want to tell you that there is hope for you and if you truly and dearly value your life please contact him now on his email: superherbalmiracletemple@gmail.com He is specialized in the various types of work below and can help you solve any of these problems below: (1) If you want your ex back (2) TB (Tuberculosis). (3) HIV/AIDS. (4) You want women/men to run after you. (5) If you want a child. (6) You want to be rich. (7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever. (8) If you need financial assistance. (9) Herbal care (10) If you can’t be able to satisfy your wife sex desire due or low err action. (11) if your menstruation refuse to come out the day it suppose or over flows. (12) if your work refuse to pay you, people owing you?. (13) solve a land issue and get it back. (14) Did your family Denny you of your right? (15) Let people obey my words and do my wish (16) Do you have a low sperm count? (17) Case solve (18)You want to be promoted in your office (19) Do you want to win a lottery (20) Herpes ? E.T.C Contact him on his email: superherbalmiracletemple@gmail.com or via tel +2348140942537and get all your problem solved